Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan
Why you’ll love working here:
- High-performance, people-focused culture
- Our commitment that equity, diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our work environment and business success, which helps employees feel valued and empowered to be their authentic selves
- Learning and development initiatives, including workshops, Speaker Series events and access to LinkedIn Learning, that support employees’ career growth
- Competitive, 100% company-paid extended health and dental benefits for permanent employees with recent additions to promote inclusive coverage to a diverse employee population. These recent additions include gender affirmation and fertility drug and treatment coverage
- Membership in HOOPP’s world class defined benefit pension plan, which can serve as an important part of your retirement security
- Access to an annual wellness reimbursement program for health and wellness-related expenses for permanent employees
- Virtual fitness, yoga and meditation classes, nutritional consultations and wellness seminars
- We offer a hybrid flexible work model that embraces remote work in Ontario for eligible roles
- The opportunity to make a difference and help take care of those who care for us, by providing a financially secure retirement for Ontario healthcare workers
Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (“HOOPP”) is one of the top performing and fastest growing pension funds in the world, with $114 billion in net assets under management globally. HOOPP invests in all major asset classes, including fixed-income, public equity, private equity, real estate, and infrastructure, and is headquartered in Toronto, Canada.
HOOPP Real Estate manages the fund’s real estate investments, which are valued at over $20 billion in gross assets. The portfolio encompasses over 50 million square feet of office, retail, industrial and multi-residential properties in approximately 200 locations in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom and Western Europe. We are a team of 22 (and growing) dynamic investment professionals working in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment. We pride ourselves on the adept management of a complex portfolio, the diligent execution of innovative investments, and providing consistent competitive long-term risk-adjusted returns for the fund. With a large existing portfolio of stable core assets, we are growing through a focus on value-add projects including a development pipeline of over $3 billion. HOOPP has a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion, sustainability and fighting climate change through our award-winning ESG program.
We are looking for a Senior Associate to work on the Real Estate Investment Management team which is responsible for all real estate investments globally including acquisitions, dispositions, portfolio and asset management, developments and debt. The Senior Associate will support specific segments of the portfolio in collaboration with the other members of the team and report to a Portfolio Manager.
What you will do:
Portfolio duties and responsibilities
- Monitor economic, investment and leasing market fundamentals to understand long-term trends driving performance in the product type(s) and market(s) within the portfolio.
- Contribute to the development and execution of the overall strategy for the assigned portfolio(s).
- Support and drive the performance of the assigned portfolio(s) including working with partners, managers and advisors from an operating, leasing, and capital improvement perspective. This includes evaluating and making recommendations on annual asset plans, major leasing transactions, leasing strategies, development oversight, valuation process and capital expenditures.
- Analyze and evaluate development opportunities within the portfolio(s); coordinate and measure the progression of projects as they advance through execution.
- Conduct hold / sell analysis to support portfolio strategy.
Investment duties and responsibilities
- Participate in sourcing, analyzing and recommending new real estate investment opportunities and/or areas of investment.
- Play a leading role in transaction management for acquisitions and dispositions including managing the underwriting, evaluation, due diligence, negotiations, legal and tax structuring, and investment approval processes.
- Assist in managing various third parties including consultants, lenders, lawyers, and advisors.
Real Estate team duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to Real Estate team programs including overall portfolio-level strategy, sustainability, risk management, and new technology initiatives.
- Actively participate in review and discussion as the team evaluates investment/divestment opportunities across the portfolio.
- Contribute to improving the team’s investment and portfolio management processes.
- Coordinate and review the work of the analysts and lead their training and development.
What you bring:
- Minimum academic requirements would be an undergraduate university degree preferably in real estate, finance, planning, or a related discipline.
- To carry out the job successfully the incumbent should have at least 5 years of professional experience in the commercial real estate industry with a focus on investment, development or asset management.
- Excellent understanding of property valuation, financial underwriting and forecasting principles and techniques, and specifically very strong financial modelling skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude and experience in transactional negotiations.
- Strong analytical skills and results-oriented.
- Well-developed Argus and Excel modelling capabilities are required.
- Critical thinking skills are essential. Ability to identify key elements of an issue and develop well reasoned and thoughtful potential solutions.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness is very important along with the ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal direction as well as part of a team.
- Positive and collaborative attitude.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- History of demonstrating HOOPP’s values: Professional, Accountable, Collaborative, Compassionate and Trustworthy.
- Ability to build a network of contacts to support the portfolio activities.
- The capacity to meet tight deadlines and adapt to highly variable workloads is important as our transactions and projects often move quickly when they arise.
Notice for job applicants:
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire onboarding will be conducted online. While we are doing our best to ensure reasonable response times, please expect some delays during the recruiting process due to the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.
For additional information on our adjusted recruitment process, please email us at email@example.com.
Established in 1960, the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is a multi-employer defined benefit pension plan for Ontario’s hospital and community-based healthcare sector. We serve more than 400,000 members who provide valued healthcare services at more than 610 employers across the province. At HOOPP, we exist to provide a stable and reliable pension for our members that starts in retirement and is paid for life. As one of Canada’s largest and most respected pension plans, HOOPP’s net assets reached $104 billion at the end of 2020 and our funded status remained strong and stable at 119%.
HOOPP’s core values – professional, accountable, collaborative, compassionate and trustworthy – guide our every interaction with our members, employers and employees. We’ve become one of Canada’s leading pension plans by consistently challenging ourselves and embracing innovation.
From our unique investment management approach to our innovative technology and thought-provoking research, we constantly seek to push the boundaries, and we do this by hiring passionate, forward-thinking people.
Our high-performance culture is founded on collaboration, respect and belonging. HOOPP is an equal opportunity employer and we’re proud of our diversity. We select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications. Should you require accommodation because of a disability during the recruitment and selection process, please contact our Human Resources team. We will be happy to consult with you so that arrangements can be made for reasonable accommodation.
To apply for this job please visit hoopp.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.