You are a high achiever looking to thrive in a fast-paced environment. You take pride in your own work but are comfortable collaborating with a team of highly motivated individuals. You can communicate clearly and concisely with teammates and clients, and you enjoy strong company culture and camaraderie. You can navigate multiple corporate functions, including global lines of service and corporate centers of excellence. You possess strong interpersonal skills and are willing to take on diverse tasks to achieve the team’s common goal. You value personal and professional growth and are ready to take the next step in advancing your career.
If this sounds like you, well, then you will love the culture at Avison Young!
Avison Young is a global commercial real estate brokerage and advisory firm, offering transaction, management, financial and consulting services. We’ve designed our corporate structure to best serve our clients by enhancing collaboration across our organization.
Real estate can have an enormous positive impact on people’s lives – and we’re in the business of making spaces and places work better for people. Our purpose is to create real economic, social and environmental value as a global real estate advisor, powered by people.
We care about each other and we have each other’s backs. This makes AY a great place to be a client, and a great place to work. We support the whole person and their complete wellness – economic, mental and physical – because what’s best for our business comes from our people bringing their whole selves to work.
As a Software Developer III at Avison Young, you will be leading a development team working at the forefront of innovative products that shape the way Avison Young serves clients across the globe. You will take ownership of the overall development and implementation of your products, architecting technical solutions, advocating for a high-quality codebase, and eliminating roadblocks for your team members. You’ll also enhance our collaborative environment by mentoring your engineering colleagues and promote knowledge within and across development teams.
In this leadership role, you will partner cross functionally with Innovation, Analytics, Project Management, QA, and IT to help craft and deliver software and analytical products that allow our professionals to illustrate real estate markets and help our clients find more successful outcomes. In doing this, we focus on intuitive design, analytical rigor, and innovative visualizations to demonstrate complex data relationships and support data-driven decision making.
We are seeking a Software Developer/Engineer to join our dynamic and energetic product development team.
The main functions anticipated for this role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as technical lead of the Scrum team, driving technical implementation and architectural design of software
- Advise and partner with Product Owners and technical Business Analysts on implementation strategy to deliver solutions
- Actively participate in our development efforts in collaboration with the Scrum team develop and ship high-caliber software
- Build solutions to help Avison Young ingest, validate, enrich, publish, and analyze commercial real estate data from third party providers and internally curated data
- Contribute to architectural philosophy, vision, and conventions of expanding an evolving suite of technology products
- Propose, automate, streamline, and improve existing processes to allow various teams to maximize productivity
What we value in a software developer:
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with quality: Your production code works and scales linearly.
- Team players: You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow and improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Self-starters: Should be comfortable working in a remote environment with colleagues around the world.
This is a challenging, leadership position where the incumbent is expected to be self-motivated (with a very supportive team!) and work collaboratively with and support geo-disparate colleagues to develop software while ensuring alignment with ‘big picture’ goals.
- 5+ years of software development experience post-graduation
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or 3+ years of equivalent experience
- Experience in leading and supporting technical colleagues through either direct or indirect management
- Experience developing web applications using React Web
- Experience in DB design using SQL Server, Postgres, MySQL, Redshift or similar db engine
- General knowledge of Node.js, Typescript, GraphQL, C# or similar
- Experience designing software that is deployed to cloud platforms, including MS Azure and AWS
- Understanding of testing methodologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Our Equal Opportunity Commitment
Avison Young practices as an equal opportunity employer in all services locations around the world. We are committed to building and maintaining a workforce diverse in experience, skills and knowledge with uniformity in service excellence, commitment and integrity.
The firm maintains a strict policy to ensure employment opportunities are equal and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, protected veteran or military service status, or any other elements protected by law.
For those requiring assistance with disabilities, information relating to the need for accommodation and accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Avison Young is committed to employing the best talent with the most fair and equitable recruitment practices.
To apply for this job please visit canada-english-avisonyoung.icims.com.